Skip to content
Print Page Email Page PDF Version of Page

Cone Beam CT Reading Service


1.  Why would I want my CBCT volumes reviewed?
2.  What is the fee for reading my scans?
3.  Can UNC radiologists read scans from any states?
4.  How do I pay?

Why would I want my CBCT volumes reviewed?

There are a number of reasons for having your CBCT volumes reviewed. Many dental practitioners are capable of reviewing their own volumes but may not be familiar with certain pathological findings or abnormities that may be present on the scan. Our radiologists can help by identifying lesions and providing a thorough report of all positive findings. In other cases the dentists may be seeking an expert second opinion regarding a volume. Many practices routinely have all of their CBCT scans reviewed by a radiologist to eliminate concerns over reviewing the scans themselves and missing an important finding.

What is the fee for reading my scans?

The UNC School of Dentistry Department of Radiology charges $100 for a standard case review. There is no limit to the size of volumes reviewed.

As of July 1, 2012, our fee for reading a CBCT volume will be $100. This is necessary because of budget cutbacks from the state government. This increase will enable us to continue supporting our oral and maxillofacial graduate student program and faculty activities. We thank you for your support and hope that you will continue to allow us to serve the diagnostic needs of your practice.

Can UNC radiologists read scans from any states?

Currently we can read scans from any state that does not require a license to read scans in that state. Alternatively, our radiologists are licensed in the states of Michigan, New York and North Carolina and can read any volumes from those states. Below is a list of the states we currently can read scans:

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia

Most states do not require a license to read CBCT scans, but you might want to contact your state dental board just to be sure. Usually a phone call does it without much hassle. Most dentists have found out within a day or two.

How do I pay?

We require our clients to pay by credit card. You will be prompted for payment after your case is submitted. Monies collected for our interpretive services provide support for our graduate program in Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology as well as support important faculty activities.