Policies, Procedures, and Resources
The UNC School of Dentistry is a covered entity within the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for HIPAA purposes. We follow the University's HIPAA policies and procedures. There are HIPAA privacy and security officers based at the University level and HIPAA privacy and security liaisons within the School of Dentistry. This web page contains information that is consistent with, if not identical to, the University's information. The only modifications of the University's policies and procedures occur when it is necessary to give more details or to give local interpretations specific to the School of Dentistry.
- To access the HIPAA presentation and quiz, go to: https://www.dentistry.unc.edu/secure/training/hipaa/
- All faculty, staff, and students are required to complete annual HIPAA training. This training is easily accomplished online. The online system consists of a presentation and quiz and it generates a report to track your compliance. To access the HIPAA quiz, you will need your PID number.
- If you do not know your PID number, there is a link provided to help you.
- For problems accessing the HIPAA quiz, please send an email to Foretta Davis.
Policies and Procedures
- Training Policy & Procedures
- Complaint Procedure
- Privacy of Protected Health Information Policy
- Accounting of Disclosures of Protected Health Information (PHI) Policy
- Privacy Practices Brochure
- Consent for Purposes of Treatment
- Accessing, Inspecting and Obtaining a Copy of Health Information
- Minimum Necessary
- Research Policy
- Information Security Policy
- Policy on Peer to Peer File Sharing Programs and PHI
- Protecting your computer from unauthorized access
- Media Disposal Standards
HIPAA Information (e-mail link)
UNC HIPAA Privacy Officer
UNC HIPAA Security Officer
School of Dentistry HIPAA Privacy Liaison
Dr. Darryn Weinstein
School of Dentistry HIPAA Security Liaison