Alumni & Friends
UNC DentistrE News
July 3, 2014
Dear Friend of the UNC School of Dentistry:
Let me be among the first to wish you a wonderful Independence Day! I hope your plans include enjoying the long weekend surrounded by your family and friends.
We have a few leadership changes which became effective on July 1. Please join the school in congratulating these people on their new roles:
- Dr. Ed Swift, longtime chair of the Department of Operative Dentistry, began his appointment as interim associate dean for education in the Office of Academic Affairs. (This position bridges the gap that will be created when Dr. Janet Guthmiller, associate dean for academic affairs, begins her new appointment as dean of the College of Dentistry at the University of Nebraska Medical Center on September 1.)
- Dr. André Ritter, who had served as director of the operative dentistry graduate program, began his appointment as chair of the Department of Operative Dentistry.
- Dr. Lee Boushell began as the new director of the operative dentistry graduate program.
- Dr. Tim Wright, who has served as chair of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry for 10 years, began his new role at the school as its director of strategic initiatives.
- Dr. Jessica Lee, William W. Demeritt Distinguished Professor, started her appointment as chair of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry. She will also continue serving as the director of the pediatric dentistry graduate program until a new director is selected.
- Dr. Mary Pettiette began her appointment as assistant dean for admissions and pre-doctoral education in the Office of Academic Affairs. (This position was previously held by Dr. Al Wilder, who is entering phased retirement.)
The school has also made a few new faculty hires. Please join us in welcoming:
- Dr. Antonio Amelio, assistant professor in the Department of Dental Ecology
- Dr. Christine Downey, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Dental Ecology
- Dr. Alex White, associate professor in the Department of Dental Ecology with a joint appointment as associate professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management in the Gillings School of Global Public Health
As you know, June 30 marked the end of the 2013-14 fiscal year for the school. We had a successful and exciting year, and that is in large part due to each of you! Please accept our most sincere thanks for your support. The Dental Foundation of North Carolina, UNC Dental Alumni Association, School of Dentistry and its students all greatly appreciate the gifts of your time, interest and money.
As we enter our new fiscal year, we invite you to make your annual gift, set-up a recurring gift or make a one-time donation to the Dental Foundation. You may donate by clicking here to give online, or contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org, 919.537.3257) to discuss your giving options.
With regard to giving, we're excited to share that it's even easier to give to the DFNC than it was before! AmazonSmile is an easy way to add to what you already contribute to the school, and all you have to do is sign up and make DFNC your charity of choice! Use this link to set your preference today: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/56-6304130.
Don't forget: If you want to stay in touch with the school and our alumni groups between these emails, be sure to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter! You can like the School of Dentistry, UNCDAA and UNC Dental Hygiene Alumni Association on Facebook, and follow the school on Twitter at @UNCDentistry.
Thank you for your continued investment in and support of our school!
Tiffany N. Brannan
Director of Communications, UNC School of Dentistry