About Our School

History

Established in 1950, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry was the first dental school in North Carolina, and was the state’s only dental school for 61 years. The North Carolina General Assembly of 1949 made creation of the School of Dentistry possible. The first class — 40 students — was admitted in fall 1950, although the dental building was not occupied until September 1952, and classes were held in two Quonset huts. Also that month, on September 9, 1952, the school admitted its first patient – a prosthodontics patient – at 2 p.m.

Since that time, the school has grown to include four buildings (not including two that were demolished): First Dental; Brauer Hall; Tarrson Hall, which includes one of dental education’s best clinical teaching facilities; and Koury Oral Health Sciences, which is a state-of-the-art-facility that houses the majority of the school’s research laboratories, classrooms, a lecture hall that seats 220, and a 105-person simulation lab. It is located within a dynamic health science campus that includes the schools of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and public health, and contributes to the spirit of collaboration among the health sciences at Carolina.

The full story of the UNC School of Dentistry is one that includes many people and buildings, but is built on the desire to serve North Carolina through excellence in education, research, service and patient care.