Dr. Andrea Zandona Associate Professor Cariology Research Director
Despite the decline in dental caries since the 1960s, dental caries is still widely prevalent affecting almost 40 percent of children two-to-eight years old and up to 92 percent of adults. There is great disparity on caries prevalence and unmet treatment needs, across race and across age. Therefore, there is a pressing need for more accurate caries risk assessment, more precise early detection methods and more effective primary and secondary preventive approaches. Our lab focus on studies on caries detection and assessment, caries prevention, caries management, caries risk assessment, decision making in caries management, and education in cariology.
- Orange/Red Fluorescence of Active Caries by Retrospective QLF Image Analyses.
- Restrospective Observation of Caries Around Restorations by QLF.
- Correlation of Dentin Fluorescence, Bacterial Microbiome Diversity and Gene Expression with Clinical Characteristics.
- Does the presence of caries lesions on nearby surfaces affect caries progression on the mesial surface of the first permanent molar? A retrospective study in a Hispanic school-aged population.
- SDF – PedoIn Vitro Detection of Occlusal Caries on Permanent Teeth by a Visual, Light Induced Fluorescence and Photothermal Radiometry and Modulated Luminescence Methods.
- Performance of ICDAS, QLF, QLF-D, Spectra and SD-OCT to Detect Primary Smooth/Occlusal Caries in Permanent Teeth.
- Correlation of Dentin Fluorescence, Bacterial Microbiome Diversity and Gene Expression with Clinical Characteristics – Laboratorial.
- Effect of Silver Diamine Flouride (SDF) on the shear bonding strength of Glass Ionomer to the root surfaces of sound and artificially created caries lesions.
- Treatment Decision – Pedo.
- Calibration on Secondary Caries.
- SDF Survey.
- Puranik, CP, Benecha H, Preisser J, Ferreira Zandona A. Retrospective longitudinal observation of caries around restoration by quantitative light-induced fluorescence. J Ped Dent 2016:4(3) :66-71 DOI:10.4103/2321-6646.194373
- Felix Gomez, GG, Huang R, MacPherson M, Ferreira Zandona AG, Gregory RL. Photo Inactivation of Streptococcus mutans Biofilm by Violet-Blue Light. Current Microbiology, Current Microbiology 2016; 73(3). DOI:10.1007/s00284-016-1075-z
- Felix Gomez, GG, Eckert GJ, Ferreira Zandona AG. Orange/Red Fluorescence of Active Caries by Retrospective QLF Image Analyses. Caries Res 50(3):295-302. DOI: 10.1159/000441899. PMID: 27160323 PMCID: PMC4925179
- Diniz MB, Eckery GJ, Gonzalez-Cabezas C, Cordeiro RCL, Ferreira Zandona. Caries Detection around restoration using ICDAS and optical devices. J Esthet Restor Dent 2016;28:110-121. DOI 10.IIII/jerd.12183 PMID: 26954886
- Schwendicke F, Frencken J, Bjorndal L, Maltz M, Manton D, Ricketts D, Van Landuyt K, Banerjee A, Campus G, Doméjean S, , Fontana M, Leal S, Lo E, Machiulskienne V, Schulte A, Splieth C, Zandona AF, Innes NPT. Managing carious lesions: consensus recommendations on carious tissue removal. Adv Dent Res 2016:28(2):58–67. PMID: 27099358
- Innes NP, Schwendicke F, Frencken J, Bjorndal L, Maltz M, Manton D, Ricketts D, Van Landuyt K, Banerjee A, Campus G, Domejan S, Fontana M, Leal S, Lo E, Machiulskienne V, Schulte A, Splieth C, Zandona A, Schwendicke F. Managing carious lesions: consensus recommendations on terminology. Adv Dent Res. 2016;28(2):49–57. PMID: 27099357
- Ferreira Zandona AG, Soini HA, Novotny MV, Santiago E, Eckert GJ, Benecha HK, Arthur RA, Zero DT. A Potential Biofilm Metabolite Signature for Caries Activity – A Pilot Clinical Study. J Metabolomics 2015;5: 140. doi: 10.4172/2153-0769.1000140
List of published work (Zandona AG)