About Our School

Travel Information

Per Diem

After July 1, 2015

Daily Total $40.50 $37.90
Rates Out-of-State In-State
Breakfast $8.30 $8.30
Lunch $10.90 $10.90
Dinner $21.30 $18.70

Verify that per diem claimed is appropriate with departure and arrival times on travel days. For example if the traveler departs at 4 p.m., only dinner can be claimed for that day. A traveler must leave before 6 a.m. to claim breakfast and return after 8 p.m. to claim dinner.

Lunch cannot be claimed without an overnight stay.

 Meal Depart Day Return Day
 Breakfast  Leave before 6 a.m.  N/A
 Lunch  Leave before 12 p.m.  Return after 2 p.m.
 Dinner  Leave before 5 p.m.  Return after 8 p.m.

Different per diems can be claimed for foreign travel, if travel is on a federal grant. In most cases, these amounts are more than the domestic per diems above. Go to the following website for a listing of per diems allowable for other countries: http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp.

Travel by Car

Expenses for employee travel on official University business are reimbursed at the following rates as set forth by State of North Carolina legislation:

  • University travelers are obligated to use a State vehicle or Enterprise vehicle (per the University’s contract) when the round trip exceeds 100 miles.  In processing travel reimbursement forms for trips that begin on or after Jan. 1, 2017, the allowable rate is 53.5 cents per mile for trips up to 100 miles, and 17 cents per mile for every mile above 100. See allowances page for more details.
  • Transportation by airline, bus, railroad or other conveyance shall be reimbursed at actual tourist-class fare.

The following rental car expenses are not reimbursable to the traveler by the University:

  • Collision damage waver (CDW)—Since the State of North Carolina is a self-insurer, this insurance coverage is not required for state employees. A traveler choosing to pay for this type of insurance will not be reimbursed by UNC. A traveler who is involved in an accident with a rental car, and in which the possibility of a collision damage claim exists, should contact Risk Management Services at (919) 962-7360.
  • Exception: CDW coverage is automatic for travel outside the United States, its possessions and Canada. Travelers will be reimbursed for the cost of insurance coverage on cars rented in those locations.
  • Personal accident insurance—Acceptance of this insurance by the traveler will result in an additional fee or surcharge and is considered personal insurance. Travelers choosing to pay for this coverage will not be reimbursed by UNC.

Foreign Currency

To convert foreign currency to U.S. dollars visit the following website: http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

Enter the travel dates and the currency you wish to convert to U.S. dollars. The site will generate an average conversion rate for the period of travel.

When possible, make every effort to process a travel approval form well in advance of an event’s registration deadline to avoid late fees, penalties, or personal out-of-pocket expenses. Any and all meals included in an event’s registration fee should be excluded from per diem claims.

Whenever appropriate, please provide documentation outlining a traveler’s personal time versus business time to ensure accurate and timely reimbursement for business related expenses. Also, provide written justification when a receipt has been lost or for some other reason does not accompany an expense claim.

Always show an encumbrance when submitting travel form for authorization.

When signing travel form always date it.

Reimbursements for trips should take approximately 4 weeks if correct paperwork is submitted.

Above current as of January 1, 2017.

For additional information contact Glen Lawrence at (919) 537-3679 or Jennie Brown at (919) 537-3323.