Policy on Use of School of Dentistry Facilities for Special Events
With the opening of Koury Oral Health Sciences Building, there has been demand from students, faculty members, other university organizations, and groups outside of the school for use of this space for a variety of events. In response to this demand, we found it necessary to set policies for the use of this facility.
CDE Events and Classroom Requests
- Faculty requests for classrooms for teaching purposes are handled in the usual manner by contacting Academic Affairs.
- Groups wishing to use the facilities for Continuing Dental Education (CDE) courses should contact our CE Department (919) 537-3400.
Policies Applying to All Requests
- Only events or functions that support the academic mission of the School, or at the discretion of the Events Planning Committee, will be permitted and supported within the School of Dentistry's physical complex.
- Use of meeting/event space within the School of Dentistry complex including Koury Oral Health Sciences Building ("Building") is typically available only for units housed within the School of Dentistry. The School's Event Planning Committee ("Committee") will make final determinations about special requests for use of the building. All users of the Building must agree to abide by all relevant University policies, including those relating to matters of safety, parking, liability, non-discrimination, non-disturbance, civil obedience, use of University grounds, and food, beverage and alcohol use.
- The Building is not intended for social events, non-university or non-School of Dentistry fundraisers or programs conducted for personal financial gain. On occasion, the Committee may allow dental-related organizations, such as the North Carolina Dental Society, dental study clubs, or professional dental specialty affinity groups (e.g., Tar Heel Endodontic Association, North Carolina Society of Periodontists) to use the Building for social events or continuing education programs run by the school's CDE Program.
- School of Dentistry events take precedence over those of any outside agency, and unscheduled school activities arising more than one month in advance of a reservation might occasionally require a cancellation. Accordingly, reservations may be considered guaranteed only within one month of scheduled time.
- The individual signing the reservation form will assume full responsibility for returning the rooms/space to their proper arrangement and, in general, ensuring the used space is left neat, orderly, and clean. Large quantities of trash and, most especially, any food or food residue, wrappings, bottles, etc. must be removed entirely from the building. The University wide policy prohibiting alcohol consumption on premises must also be observed.
- Smoking indoors is prohibited as is smoking outdoors within 100 feet of university property.
- Food is not permitted inside Kirkland Auditorium. Water is the only beverage permitted. Food is permitted in seminar and case study rooms.
- Excessively noisy or disruptive events will not be permitted.
Evening and Weekend Events
- In general, events will be permitted only during regular building hours - 7:30 am - 6 pm. Events must adhere to the requested time on this form and may not run past closing times, unless approved by the Committee.
- Events held in the evenings and weekends will incur additional expenses that must be paid by the group holding the event. A minimum payment of $1,000 to the School of Dentistry is required to cover expenses associated with the set-up and breakdown of equipment, janitorial services, and lighting and security costs. Sound reinforcement or any audio visual equipment needs should be arranged through Union Production Services, (919) 966-1329. Delivery of extra tables, chairs or trashcans can be arranged through Housekeeping, (919) 962-6586.
Last Modified: 10/12/2012