Evening Activities -- Safety/Security Considerations
The Campus Security Committee has asked that we post this special reminder for faculty, staff and students who attend classes and other campus and community activities at night or work alone in campus buildings after regular business hours.
- Emergency call boxes with direct lines to the University Police are located around campus and can be activated by pushing a button. In an emergency, or if you notice something suspicious or out of the ordinary, notify University Police by using a call box or by telephoning 911 (emergency calls) or 962-8100 (routine calls).
- When walking at night, plan the route in advance so you can stay in well-lit areas; stay alert to your surroundings at all times; and never walk alone.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return (leave a note).
- In the late afternoon or at night, use Chapel Hill Transit (www.chtransit.org or 968-2769) or the P2P Express (www.dps.unc.edu/dps/alternatives/point2point.htm or 962-8767). Inclement weather or special events may reduce or cancel service.
- The fare-free U & RU Bus routes circle campus in both directions between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekdays and most other Chapel Hill Transit routes serve the campus, as well as other locations within Chapel Hill and Carrboro. For more information visit www.chtransit.org.
- The P2P Express service runs a fixed route every 20 minutes from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. seven days a week when campus housing is open during the academic semesters. Riders must show a UNC OneCard or University ID.
- The P2P on-demand shuttle service provides transportation for disabled students, staff and faculty 24 hours a day. In the evening this service is available for areas of campus not served by the P2P Express.
- P2P also transports students to open campus buildings as well as providing rides for students, faculty and staff to campus parking lots between dusk and dawn seven days a week, excluding University holidays. To arrange a ride, call 962-7867 (TDD 962-7142 for hearing impaired only.)
- Blue P2P communication boxes are at the following locations: Bowles lot (S-11), Manning lot (S-11), P lot, PR lot, Craige Deck and Cardinal Deck to assist people parking in these areas during the evenings.
- SAFE Shuttle - This service runs from the Student Union to on-campus housing and nearby Greek houses between Monday and Thursday from midnight to 3 a.m. every 20 minutes when the dormitories are open during the academic semester. Riders must show a UNC OneCard or University ID. Student Government funds the SAFE Shuttle service. The shuttle service is operated by P2P.