School Loses Friend and Benefactor?Edgar Dewees Baker
Dr. Edgar Dewees Baker, longtime friend and benefactor of the School of Dentistry died September 2, 2003. Baker was 87.
Baker received his dental degree at the Medical College of Virginia and his orthodontic degree from the University of Michigan. He practiced orthodontics in Raleigh for over fifty years with his partner, Fred Hale. During World War II, he served in the Medical Corps as a dentist at Fort Bragg, attaining the rank of major. He worked as a dentist for Wake County and Raleigh School System from 1936 to 1939 and was the dental member of the Wake County Health Department for 20 years.
In the late 1940's he was pivotal in raising money to establish the dental school at the University of North Carolina. He taught for 19 years in the orthodontic department at the School while maintaining his practice with Hale. He established graduate student fellowships in orthodontics at UNC to honor his deceased wife, Miriam E. Baker and the Hale Distinguished Professorship in the name of his life-long friend and partner, Dr. G. Fred Hale. Baker's vision and generosity to the School of Dentistry contributed to the building and opening of Tarrson Hall in 1997. In addition, the Baker Center for Orthodontics was named in his honor in recognition of his lead gift toward the development of this important new clinical center that was opened in Brauer Hall in 2000.
A memorial service will be held at White Memorial Presbyterian Church on Friday, September 5th at 11:00 a.m. Immediately following the service, the family will receive friends in the Jane Bell Gathering Space. Surviving are his wife of 15 years, Mary Jerman Panton Crampton Baker; daughter, Barbara Baker Kennedy and husband, Don; son, Edgar Randolph Baker and wife, Mary.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Dental Foundation of North Carolina Inc., UNC School of Dentistry, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7450; or the Raleigh Host Lions Club, c/o R.G. Ofcharik, PO Box 20372, Raleigh, NC 27619; or White Memorial Presbyterian Church, 1704 Oberlin Road, Raleigh, NC 27608.