Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Externship Program Description
This is a 1-4 week rotation in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for third and fourth year dental students interested in additional exposure to the full scope of OMS. During the rotation, the student will observe and participate in operating room and clinical procedures under the direction of the faculty and chief resident. The extern will attend all weekly conferences. It is expected that the extern will take call with the intern. Up to two externs per month will be accepted on a space available basis. The department will enroll up to two externship candidates on the OMFS service at one time depending on resource availability.
- Provide dental students with exposure to Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, including operating room and perioperative care of the surgical patient.
- Provide experience in extraction of teeth and minor surgical procedures in clinic setting.
- Allow for exchange of information through formal conferences.
Extern Role and Responsibilities
- Extern will take call with junior and senior residents: the extern would accompany junior resident and help with duties (A pager will be provided for call).
- Student will extract teeth in clinic. Checking in of student is the responsibility of the clinic doctor, call doctor, and then resident (if delegated by the call doctor).
- Evaluation to be recorded at UNC and at student's dental school.
- Student will go to the operating room at the discretion of the chief resident.
- Student will fill out evaluation of his/her experience upon completion.
- Evaluation at end of externship by the chief resident, externship director, and any interested faculty member.
Requirements and Application Instructions
The student must currently be in good standing at the dental school he/she is attending.
- Letter of Intent with dates of attendance
- Current CV
- Letter Of Recommendation From The Dental School Dean
- Two Additional Letters of Recommendation
- Your Dental School Transcript
- Documentation of Malpractice Insurance in effect during the externship
- Documentation of a Negative TB Testing with both date placed and date read within one year of the last day of the externship period
- Documentation of BLS/CPR training within two years of the last day of externship period
Complete the Following Forms:
Policy on Unpaid Volunteers, Interns and Visiting Scholars
Upon Arrival and Before Engaging in Direct Patient Care:
- Complete and pass the UNC HIPAA training
Upon Completion of Externship:
- Student will fill out evaluation form of his/her experience
All Materials Sent To:
Send information to:
Glenn J. Reside, DMD
Department of OMFS
CB #7450, UNC School of Dentistry
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
You will be contacted after your materials are received.
Questions: e-mail Glenn_Reside@dentistry.unc.edu
Housing is the responsibility of the extern. There is no call room available.Temporary housing possibilities: