Instructions for 2008 Turner Award Participants
If your abstract has been approved for competition in the 2008 Turner Award Competition at the NC-AADR Dental Research in Review Day program, please note the following guidelines.
- The competition is divided into these three categories:
It is your responsibility to make sure you are being judged in the appropriate category, corresponding to your student status.
- Poster presenters:
- Set up in the 3rd and 4th floor lobbies of Tarrson / Brauer Hall from 7:00-7:15 AM. Look for your abstract number on the poster stand
- Poster size is 4x8 feet. Posters will be on CORK boards, so please, no Velcro. Pins will be provided (although you can plan on bringing some).
- Judging will begin promptly as scheduled (see file attached for schedule and poster number, or schedule on Website), and will continue on the quarter-hour until all the posters have been judged. (note that the general public will be viewing your poster during that time also, so you will need to be there for the entire poster session, from 8:00 to 10:00 AM).
- You will have no more than 10 minutes to present, and an additional 5 minutes will be allotted to the judges for questions.
- Poster break-down time is from 1:30 to 3:00 PM.
- Oral presenters:
- There are five (5) oral presentation sessions. Three (3) concurrent sessions in the morning between 10:15 AM and 11:45 AM, taking place in rooms Brauer 030, Brauer 464, and Old Dental 150. There are two (2) concurrent sessions in the afternoon between 2:30 PM and 4:45 PM, taking place in rooms Brauer 030 and Brauer 464. Please, check the schedule on the Website for the time and location of your presentation.
- The electronic file for your presentation should be loaded onto the shared drive prior to February 20th, at the following location: \\dentistryfnp2\share\DRR
Save the file for your presentation with your assigned presentation/abstract number followed by a space and your last name (Example: 80 Pimenta.ppt). Also bring a file of your presentation on a USB-compatible device or a disc on February 20th in case of a shared drive failure.
- The rooms will be equipped with LCD projectors and PowerPoint electronic equipment for your presentations. Laser pointers will be provided although you may want to bring your own.
- You will have no more than 10 minutes to present, and an additional 5 minutes will be allotted to the judges for questions. The oral session chair will be monitoring time and you will be asked to end your presentation after 10 minutes. As a courtesy for other speakers in your session, you should plan on being in the room of your oral presentation session for the entire length of the session.
- Those presenters competing for a Turner Award will be judged on the following criteria:
A - Research
- Materials and Methods
- Discussion and Conclusion
- Student effort, difficulty of the study, innovation
B - Presentation
- Knowledge of the topic and answers to questions
- Overall delivery