Alumni & Friends
UNC DentistrE News
July 2, 2012
Dear Friend of the UNC School of Dentistry,
July is here and summer classes are well underway for our students. I'm thrilled to report the students are taking full advantage of our new, wonderful space in Koury Oral Health Sciences Building, and everyone loves the new classrooms, labs and communal areas. Everyone feels incredibly fortunate to have such a state-of-the-art facility to learn and work in each day; thank you for the part you played in making our new building a reality.
As happens every year, in late June the first members of our new student classes arrived! The dental assisting class of 2013 joined us on campus to begin their orientation on Friday, June 22. The six-week summer session of classes began for this group of 24 students the following Monday, June 25. They, like the rest of our current students, will be here - and be busy! - until early August when summer session ends.
Converse to the annual nature of the incoming dental assisting class beginning, this particular late June and early July brings our school a number of personnel changes.
On June 25, Mr. Derek Hoar joined us as assistant dean for human resources. Mr. Hoar comes to the School of Dentistry from the UNC Office of Human Relations, where he's been since 2006. He's also been employed by SAS Institute (1995-2006), Wake Medical Center (1992-1995) and General Motors (1988-1991).
On July 1, a number of changes took effect:
- Dr. Ken May entered phased retirement and stepped down from his long-time post of vice dean. Dr. May will continue to work at the school as a part-time professor in the Department of Operative Dentistry and will begin treating patients again in the Dental Faculty Practice.
- In the role of vice dean, which has been re-named executive associate dean, is Dr. Jim Beck. Dr. Beck is a Kenan Professor and the former associate dean for research. Before becoming associate dean for research, Dr. Beck served as chair of the Department of Dental Ecology.
- Dr. Eric Everett assumed Dr. Beck's former position as associate dean for research. Previously, Dr. Everett served as a professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry and a member of the Carolina Center for Genome Sciences.
- The Department of Prosthodontics' new interim chair is Dr. Thom Ziemiecki. Dr. Al Guckes, who served as interim chair for the first six months of the year, entered phased retirement and assumed the role of deputy interim chair. The search for a permanent chair for the department is ongoing; Dr. Ziemiecki will remain the interim chair until a permanent chair is appointed.
- Ms. Vickie Overman began her appointment as the director of the dental hygiene programs. This position had been filled on an interim basis by Ms. Rebecca Wilder, director of the dental hygiene graduate program and director of faculty development. Dental hygiene also added two full-time faculty members: Ms. Lynne Hunt and Ms. Lattice Sams.
We're gearing up for a busy fall and hope you can attend some of our upcoming events! Watch your mail for your invitation for the UNCDAA Football Tailgate Party and Unveiling of the Dean John Brauer Sculpture on Saturday, September 29. If you're headed to San Francisco for the ADA Meeting in October, make sure to come by the UNC Alumni Reception on Friday, October 19. The reception will be in Yerba 2 and 3 at the Marriott Marquis San Francisco.
As you know, June 30 marked the end of the 2011-12 fiscal year for the school. We had a successful and exciting year, and that is in large part due to each of you! Please accept our most sincere thanks for your support. The Dental Foundation, UNC Dental Alumni Association, School of Dentistry and its students all greatly appreciate the gifts of your time, interest and money.
As we enter our new fiscal year, we invite you to make your annual gift, set-up a recurring gift, or make a one-time donation to the Dental Foundation. You may donate by clicking here to give online, or contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org, 919.537.3257) to discuss your giving options.
Thank you for your continued investment in our school!
Tiffany N. Brannan
Director of Communications, UNC School of Dentistry