Skip to content
Print Page Email Page PDF Version of Page

Oral Biology PhD Program

Tuition & Fees

The cost of attending graduate school includes tuition, fees, and health insurance, for which the student is billed directly. Tuition and Fees for the PhD program in the Curriculum in Oral Biology are listed under DENTAL-Oral Biology. The cost also includes indirect costs such as room, board, books and supplies, travel, loan fees, and personal expenses.

Graduate students must pay tuition and fees for all years of study and training. For students without external support, tuition support, stipend, and health insurance are provided by the School of Dentistry for the first academic year. In subsequent years, tuition support, health insurance and a stipend are normally provided by the research mentor with whom the student is pursuing their dissertation research. Tuition and fees are less once a student has been admitted to candidacy. Tuition and fee charges are subject to change at any meeting of the NC Board of Trustees and a yearly increase of 5 - 10 percent should be anticipated each year. Estimates for living expenses are available through the Office of Scholarships & Student Aid website.


Tuition remission, or the reduction of the out-of-state tuition rate to the rate set for NC residents, is awarded by the semester. No student may receive an award for more than ten semesters. To meet the general eligibility requirements, the student must be enrolled as a full-time student during the semester of the award. The number of awards is limited and awards are contingent on availability of funds; having a teaching or research assistantship does not guarantee remission will be awarded. There is no application process for tuition remission. Tuition remission is not offered during the summer.

Out-of-state students and international students with permanent resident status ("green card") are encouraged to establish legal residence in North Carolina and to apply for classification as a state resident for tuition purposes. Guidelines and application forms for establishing residency are available from the UNC Graduate School.

State laws preclude international students who are not permanent residents (do not hold a green card) from establishing residency, so these students must pay the out-of-state rate in all semesters unless tuition remission is granted.